- Applicants for admission onto the Master's Degree in Materials Science must be in possession of a Bachelor's Degree, obtained in Italy or abroad, in one of the following subjects: Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics or Industrial Engineering. In the case of foreign degree certificates, the degree must be recognised as equivalent to an Italian Bachelor's Degree according to Italian legislation.
- Knowledge of English is strictly required and applicants are also expected to have basic Information Technology (IT) skills (e.g. text elaboration, use of datasheets, etc.).
- Applicants will be asked to attend an interview before their place on the Master's course can be confirmed. This is in order to verify that they possess the required level of knowledge. A list of subjects and topics that may be tested during the interview is given below:
Basic Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- Functions of one and more variables
- Integrals of functions of one and more variables
- First and second order differential equations
- Principles of numerical analysis and linear algebra
Solid State Physics:
- Crystal structure
- Reciprocal lattice
- Thermal properties of phonons
- Free electron Fermi gas
- Bloch theorem
- Energy bands
- Effective mass
Basic Quantum Mechanics
Basic General Chemistry:
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Mass Spectrometry
- Atomic absorption and atomic emission spectroscopy
- Chemical Bond
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Atomic and Molecular structures
- Spectroscopy (vibrational, electronic)
Basics of Metallic, Ceramic, and Polymeric Materials:
- Phase diagrams and phase transformations
- Mechanical properties
- J. Stewart, “Calculus Early Transcendentals”, Thomson Brooks/Coole, Belmont CA, USA, 2008.
- K. Atkinson, “Elementary Numerical Analysis”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1993.
- Resnick-Halliday-Krane, “Physics”, Wiley.
- C. Kittel, “Introduction to Solid State Physics”, 7th edition, Wiley, New York, 1996
- S. Sze, “Semiconductor Devices: Physics and Technology”, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 2002
- C. Cohen-Tannoudyij, B. Diu, F. Laoe, “Quantum Mechanics”, John Wiley and Sons
- Atkins-Beran, General Chemistry, Scientific American Library, 1992.
- Atkins-de Paula, “Physical Chemistry”, OUP.
- McMurry, “Organic Chemistry”, 7th ed. Cengage Custom Publishing. Edition
- D.C. Harris "Quantitative Chemical Analysis" 7th ed WH Freeman
- Callister, “Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction”, 6th Edition, Wiley.
Admission interviews are periodically scheduled as communicated on this website. The selection committee will include at least 3 members of the teaching staff. Each candidate may attempt an admission interview no more than 2 times per year. Interview dates and times may be found here.