Students must be in possession of a Bachelor's degree. As there is no competitive selection for the enrolment, student must pass an oral interview during which his/her basics knowledge are tested. Students from the Bachelor Degree “Scienza e Tecnologia dei Materiali” in Turin are supposed to have this minimum knowledge, therefore they are exonerated from the oral interview. They don't need to go to the interview, but they have anyway to apply to the enrolment on-line Test for the evaluation. Their admission will be recorded the day of the oral interview.
The Master's degree in Material Science is a free access course.
- Applicants for admission onto the Master's Degree in Materials Science must be in possession of a Bachelor's Degree, obtained in Italy or abroad, in one of the following subjects: Materials Science, Chemistry, Physics or Industrial Engineering. In the case of foreign degree certificates, the degree must be recognised as equivalent to an Italian Bachelor's Degree according to Italian legislation.
- Knowledge of English is strictly required, and applicants are also expected to have basic Information Technology (IT) skills (e.g. text elaboration, use of datasheets, etc.).
- Applicants will be asked to attend an interview before their place on the Master's course can be confirmed. This is in order to verify that they possess the required level of knowledge.
Admission interviews are periodically scheduled as communicated on this website. The selection committee will include at least 3 members of the teaching staff. Each candidate may attempt an admission interview no more than 2 times per year.
Students who want to apply the Master's Degree in Material Science must be in possession of a Bachelor Degree, of an equivalent University degree of duration of at least 3 years or another title obtained abroad, recognized as suitable.
To possess a Bachelor Degree in one of the following Categories: Science and Chemical Technologies (Classe 21 Scienze e Tecnologie Chimiche (D.M.509/99) L-27 Scienze e Tecnologie Chimiche (D.M. 270/04), Science and Physical Technologies (Classe25 Scienze e Tecnologie Fisiche (D.M. 509/99), L-30 Scienze e Tecnologie Fisiche (D.M. 270/04), Industrial Engineering (Classe10 Ingegneria Industriale (D.M. 509/99) L- 9 Ingegneria Industriale (D.M. 270/04).
For the students who obtained a Bachelor’s Degree abroad, they will be accepted is the degree is considered similar to one of those listed above. Candidates who possess an academic title obtained abroad must apply through the procedure of the Athenaeum .
The individual interview aims to verify the suitability of the personal preparation of the applicant. It will be done in English or Italian language according to the candidate's preference. It will be based on the following topics(better described at the bottom of the page):
- Mathematics, physics, bases of chemistry
- Solids: chemical bonding, crystal structure, electronic structure
- Synthesis, structure and properties of ceramics, glasses, metals, semiconductors, polymers. Surface properties and catalysts.
- Thermophysical, mechanical, electronic and optics properties of materials
- Techniques for analysis and characterization of materials
- Elements of crystallography
- Active and passive knowledge of scientific English
The candidate is considered confident with the use of principal informatic tools (text elaboration, use of electronic sheets for calculus, design and management of a database, use of instruments to make presentations)
The knowledge of English language is strongly required
For the enrolment to the Master's Degree and to the interview there is an Evaluation Test to which all the applicants have to apply, either those who already have a Bachelor Degree or those who are close to obtain it. The enrolment to the Test is considered as a reservation to the interview.
The enrolment to the Evaluation Test will be opened on the 2nd of July 2019 and will be closed on 29th November 2019 at 23:59 (Italian time).
(Italian version below)
The candidate will have to access to MyUnito and under the window "Enrolments" he will find the section "Evaluation test". Here the candidate will have to indicate to which interview he/she wants to participate. Those who are already students of the university of Turin are already registered, all the others first have to register on the Unito portal. In the case the candidate does not possess a Bachelor’s Degree yet, he/she has to upload a self-certification of the Degree with all the exams and the enrolment to the missing exams.
Il candidato dovrà accedere alla MyUnito e sotto la voce "Iscrizioni" troverà la voce "Test di valutazione" qui dovrà indicare a quale colloquio vuole partecipare (chi è già stato studente dell'Università di Torino, è già registrato, tutti gli altri devono prima registrarsi al portale). I candidati inoltre dovranno fare upload dell'autocertificazione della laurea con esami o dell'iscrizione con esami (nel caso in cui non siano ancora laureati al momento della compilazione della domanda al test).
The dates for the interview are the following:
20/09/2019 Aula D1, Via P. Giuria 9 Anticipato alle ore 9
24/10/2019 ore 14 Aula D1
05/12/2019 ore 14 Aula da definire
Si ricorda che i laureati in Scienza e Tecnologia dei Materiali presso l'Università degli Studi di Torino sono esonerati dal colloquio ma devono procedere ugualmente all'iscrizione on-line al Test di valutazione nel periodo di apertura.
Once the admission test is passed, the candidate will need to proceed with the enrollment through the online procedure on the website www.unito.it, respecting all the administratives deadlines (starting from 3rd September and not later than 19th September at 19:00, Italian time)
The successfull Enrollment to the Master's Degree depends on a positive results at the interview.
To ask a support and/or extra timing according to the Law 104/92 and to know which certifications to provide
Observe the Service of the Atheneaum for
and organize a meeting with the Office Students with Handicap and SLD in order to
- plan at the best your introduction to the University (in the months of June-July)
- verify your certifications
- obtaine necessary information on the procedure and the timing for the pre-enrollment and on the instruments and supports you have the right to take advantage of.
Contacts : email@example.com
Per richiedere i supporti e/o tempi aggiuntivi in base alla Legge 104/92 (legge-quadro per l'assistenza, l'integrazione sociale e i diritti delle persone handicappate e successive modifiche e integrazioni) e sapere quali certificazioni comunicare
Osserva i Servizi di Ateneo per
e Fissa un incontro con l’Ufficio Studenti con Disabilità e DSA per
- pianificare al meglio il tuo ingresso in Università (nei mesi di giugno-luglio);
- verificare la tua certificazione;
- ottenere le informazioni necessarie sulle procedure e i tempi delle pre-iscrizioni e sugli strumenti e supporti di cui puoi beneficiare.
List of topics which will be checked during the interview
Basic Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- Functions of one and more variables
- Integrals of functions of one and more variables
- First and second order differential equations
- Principles of numerical analysis and linear algebra
Solid State Physics:
- Crystal structure
- Reciprocal lattice
- Thermal properties of phonons
- Free electron Fermi gas
- Bloch theorem
- Energy bands
- Effective mass
Basic Quantum Mechanics
Basic General Chemistry:
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Mass Spectrometry
- Atomic absorption and atomic emission spectroscopy
- Chemical Bond
- Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- Atomic and Molecular structures
- Spectroscopy (vibrational, electronic)
Basics of Metallic, Ceramic, and Polymeric Materials:
- Phase diagrams and phase transformations
- Mechanical properties
These topics can be found at the appropriate level in the following suggested textbooks (or equivalent):
- J. Stewart, “Calculus Early Transcendentals”, Thomson Brooks/Coole, Belmont CA, USA, 2008.
- K. Atkinson, “Elementary Numerical Analysis”, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1993.
- Resnick-Halliday-Krane, “Physics”, Wiley.
- C. Kittel, “Introduction to Solid State Physics”, 7th edition, Wiley, New York, 1996
- S. Sze, “Semiconductor Devices: Physics and Technology”, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 2002
- C. Cohen-Tannoudyij, B. Diu, F. Laoe, “Quantum Mechanics”, John Wiley and Sons
- Atkins-Beran, General Chemistry, Scientific American Library, 1992.
- Atkins-de Paula, “Physical Chemistry”, OUP.
- McMurry, “Organic Chemistry”, 7th ed. Cengage Custom Publishing. Edition
- D.C. Harris "Quantitative Chemical Analysis" 7th ed WH Freeman
- Callister, “Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction”, 6th Edition, Wiley.